Search This Blog

Friday, 15 August 2014

how do I compare to "No Impact Man" ?

Ana sent me a link of the "No Impact Man" movie from 2009. At that time Colin Beavan aka the No Impact Man got a lot of publicity for his project and while I watched this documentary I wondered where I feel different from his objectives and priorities.


Get your food locally is a great idea as well as having your own vegetable garden.  Reduce your garbage by using as little packaging a possible: Yes. Composting organic waste: Yep. Use bikes and public transport instead of a car : Of course. Use as little chemicals and cosmetics as possible: Sure.

Trying to live without electricity or appliances did not seem a good idea. No TV, no washing machine, no refrigerator. Not to mention no toilet paper. This sounds ok if you are willing to sacrifice a comfortable living but frankly I don't think many people want to go that far. Neither am I. This is where the project lost some of its credibility.

Bottom line Colin Beaven did a fantastic job creating awareness among the general public and everybody knows what "No Impact Man" is about.

I don't have the ambition to grow awareness of a lot of people, I do want to include the Colombian community that I will be part of in the plans I have.

I found out that Colombia is one of the best places on earth for solar energy but this industry has not taken of yet. That's what I call an opportunity !


2 comments: